Friday, January 29, 2010

LOST is Coming ...

Whew! Okay, so its almost here folks! If you need some invite ideas for a LOST party, here you go.

If you need a refresher, here is the finale from Season 5:

The Incident- Part 1





The Incident- Part 2





There are so many rumors and theories flying about who will live, who will die, what it all means, who are truly the villains, when will this season take place... Being the final season the gloves are off, as they say, so here are some of my predictions:

1- Sayid will die before the end. I actually thought he was going to die a couple of different times last season, and yet he lived on. I think he is ready. He has been through such an emotional roller coaster and I think he is damaged beyond the possibility of a happily-ever-after. I have thought since the beginning (except for the Libby debacle, don't get me started) that for the most part, all of the characters that have died found a degree of closure first. Sometimes closure is simply being too tired to care any more. I don't think he is too tired to fight for his friends, but I think if a martyr is needed it will be him because he is ready for quiet peace, and I think death will be his peace. I am guessing more than one may die, but I feel like Sayid is a for sure.

2- Ben will live to googly eye another day. This has never been a show of purely good and evil, it has been a show declaring that we all have both of those things in us and maybe fate has some involvement, but its our choices and the people in our lives that declare who we are. None of the characters are spotless. I don't think Ben will be the ultimate villain and I don't think he will surprise us all and be the ultimate hero. I think he will make it through, looking out for himself as always, and in the end he will still be a hate-him-but-would-miss-him weasel.

3- The relationship between Jacob and the Man in Black as we have so far been led to presume will change completely. I don't know that it will go so far as to turn the tables to the point that we discover that Jacob is the true villain and the Man in Black is the 'good' one, because as I stated before, its not all good and evil, but I am not ruling that possibility out. Maybe Jacob, who seems so good, is really just a master manipulator who, like Satan, wants things to go smoothly and be in control of it all, where the man in black, like Christ, may want there to be choice in the world. I am NOT saying that they are supposed to be representing these individuals, I am just pointing out a possible parallel.

4- Every season they mix things up. We had flash backs getting to know the Castaways, then we had a new season of what has been happening on the other side of the island with the Tailies, then we got the perspective of the Others, then we started getting flash-forwards as well as flash-backs, and then finally last season we were jumping between past and present. I think this season will literally be jumping back and forth between two different realities. From the island post-bomb (whether it be in present time or still the 70s) and the very beginning, like a do-over or something. The question is, will they remember it all? If so, will they go back?

5- Not everything we want to be answered will be answered. For one thing, this is a show that can be classified in the scifi/fantasy genre, so a lot of the scientific and time travel things can't be perfectly answered because, well, hate to spoil it, but they aren't actually real. For me, as captivating as all of the mystery and puzzles on this show are, it is the depth of the characters they have created that really keeps me hooked. As long as their stories are satisfyingly concluded, that may be enough for me. I don't think we will necessarily find out exactly what the island is or how long it has been in existence or why these people were the ones chosen, and I would actually prefer it that way. Like real religion, a lot of the elements of LOST and the island are based in faith and mythology and possibly the belief in things like predestination and that time as we know it on earth is nothing to the sense of Godly time. I think LOST will end with a degree of letting us interpret things as we want to, and I think that's okay. The beauty of LOST is the mystery, and if that was completely gone in the finale... I think the story would lose something.

Here are the three different versions of the LOST Supper promo for Season 6- read into them what you will. I am sure they are chock full of symbolism and mischief:




Also, you can go here or here and do some LOST philosophizing with Doc Jensen. Yep, there IS someone who reads even more into everything than I do!

3 comments:

Candice said...

Did you notice that the promo pics look like Da Vinci's Last Supper?

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

Good thing I'm really sick this weekend so I can HOPEFULLY get caught up :) I'm excited to read these and ACTUALLY have a clue as to what (and who) you're referring to. I read them all last season, but had no clue what it all meant.

SisterPresidentMann said...

What is a googley eye?
I'm...lost?
Love, Mom