Monday, January 11, 2010

Piranhas. Almost as Funny as Zombies. Almost.

I don't know why I am such a sucker for campy, gory movies! I just think they are so ridiculous that they make me laugh when a normal person would cringe. I am a huge fan of Whitney Matheson who writes Pop Candy and likes a lot of the things I like (aka, LOST) and keeps me amused and up-to-date on geeky pop culture happenings. This is one of the things she wrote about today:

Last night I went to see Youth in Revolt (very good). Outside of the movie itself, the biggest ruckus in the theater came during a trailer for Piranha 3-D, a campy horror flick opening in April. When the trailer started, I think a lot of folks assumed it was fake -- how else to explain Christopher Lloyd, Elizabeth Shue, Jerry O'Connell, Ving Rhames, Eli Roth and other familiar faces in a flick about man-eating fish? But yes, Piranha is real, and it's really in 3-D. (Director Alexandre Aja also helmed The Hills Have Eyes.) Sadly, the trailer hasn't been posted online yet, so all we have are leaked versions and set footage. If Piranha 3-D is anything like the 1978 film Piranha, though, we're in for a treat. Directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins, The 'Burbs), the '70s cult classic parodied Jaws and included bits of dialogue like this:

Resort worker: "But the piranhas ..."
Boss: "What about the (expletive) piranhas?!"
Resort worker: "They're eating the guests, sir."

Check out the original trailer:



Ummm, yeah, I feel like I am going to get a total kick out of the Piranha 3-D coming, but I also may have to see if I can track down this original. Ha!

No comments: