Monday, June 8, 2009

Musical Artists I Love - Maria Callas


I have been very into opera and classical music lately and I am madly in love with Maria Callas. She doesn’t have the sweet, perfect tone of Kathleen Battle or the technicality of Fleming or von Stade, but when she sings… I believe her. I don’t speak French or Italian or any other romantic, operatic languages, but I understand her anyway. Her voice is extremely unique and I wouldn't call it traditionally beautiful, but she sings with such passion and conviction and when I am feeling mellow or reflective or whimsical, she sets the perfect mood.

She makes me want to fall in love in Paris in the fifties wearing a Grace Kelly gown.


She makes me want to don an Audrey Hepburn head scarf and sunglasses and ride a Vespa through Rome in the rain.

She makes me want Cary Grant to call me ‘dummy’ and ‘darling’ in the same sentence as he pulls me into his arms and my knees buckle.



Alright, so I always want those things, but when I think of them Maria Callas is the soundtrack in my mind. You may have no taste for opera, which is perfectly alright… I suppose... ;P ... but if you listen to at least the last two minutes of the song below, then maybe you will understand a bit of what I mean about Maria’s singing.

'Un Bel Di Vedremo' from Puccini's Madame Butterfly

No comments: