Monday, June 29, 2009

Dancing in My Heart, Sigh

Dance, Definition One: To move one's feet or body, or both, rhythmically in a pattern of steps, esp. to the accompaniment of music

Dance, Definition Two: Hayley's biggest fear

Okay, probably not the biggest, but its definitely up there. The thought of having to do it makes my eyes bulge and I have avoided it as best as I could my entire life. I love dance- I respect it and admire it and truly wish that I was good at it. Believe me, I own both of the box sets of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies and you don't watch those for the plot, you watch them for the dancing-

And I have a mad no-longer-living-actor crush on the amazing Gene Kelly-

I constantly have some tune or another on my mind and find myself head bobbing and foot tapping and I am an avid player of drums on my steering wheel and feel inclined to dance often. When it comes to having to do it while other people could potentially see me, however, it's not happening. The minute I feel like someone might see me or I get asked to join in on dancing, whatever rhythm I may somewhere posses, 'vanishes like a fart in the wind.' (Excuse the crassness, but it is a quote from an Academy award nominated movie, after all, which would have won if not for Forrest Gump coming out the same year. But I digress ... ;) Though dancing is something that I cannot (and will not) do, I love watching it. I love going to recitals and ballets and I LOVE the show So You Think You Can Dance. It is seriously ridiculous how talented these kids are. (Yes, I feel old enough now to refer to them as 'kids.' Sad.)

I will be coming back to SYTYCD later, but as for me, I think I had better just let the wonderful Jane Monheit and Michael Buble' take the floor and explain how I feel-

2 comments:

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I TOTALLY agree with you on Shawshank.. that movie is so incredibly beautiful. Can't WAIT for the future SYTYCD posts!

dave + kirst said...

You know how i love SYTYCD! That is part of the reason I did 'Evita,' just so I could pretend I was on the show! Thanks for commenting on my blog Hayls :D One and counting...